Thursday, April 19, 2012

triple batch for freezing

I have just discovered that by making the dough and freezing it. Then pull out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator; ( I did this at dinner time 5pm) Next morning I noticed it thawed and actually started to rise. I pulled it out placed it on the counter in a greased bowl with damp cloth to cover. Set my oven to the lowest temp 170 placed the bread pan in to preheat it and the oven. Once the oven was up to temp, turned it off. Pulled out pan, formed my loaf placed damp cloth over loaf pan placed in the oven, let rise double, score, egg wash bake at 420 for 20 min. 350 for 20min apprx. You know it is done when it is golden brown on top and insert a meat thermometer it should read 190.  Check out getting started for more hints and pictures to walk you through dough preparation

Ok here is the recipe for the triple batch.

my sifter. cookie tin spatter screen taped on where the lid goes. cut whole the size of a cool whip container. what you sift off is bran which weighs the loaf down. You can sprinkle on top after you used egg wash. Or use in cereal.
I use freshly ground 50% winter hard red wheat 50%winter hard white wheat

4c warm water
4tbl yeast (not quick rise)
1/4c oil (I use light virgin olive)
1/4 local honey or local maple syrup
2tsp sea salt
10c whole wheat flour sifted my way. You can use store bought.


This makes 3 loaves. I use a 3c measure to have them 3 equal loaves. Spray freezer bags or container either of these have to be double the size of the dough because believe it or not it rises in the freezer. I place them in separate containers so if I am ready for a loaf I place in refrigerator overnight pull out in the morning, and go from there.

MY FAILURES CAME MOSTLY FROM YEAST FAILURES. SO CHECK EXPIRATION DATE ON PACKET. I BUY MINE BY BULK AND STORE IN COOL DARK PLACE, WHEN OPENED I PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR. SOME FREEZE THEIRS. I DO NOT BUY BREAD SO I USE MINE UP FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment