Saturday, April 21, 2012

why whole grain

Why whole grain? I believe most of us know the answer to that.  The problem is when you buy bread or pasta in the store and the package says whole grain.  First and foremost we should read the label and make surewheat is the first thing in the ingredients not corn or soy bean. Corn or soybean are the cheapest and do not give you the fiber you need. 
The best way to know whats on your plate is to make it yourself. There may be some who have bought whole wheat flour in the store and tried making bread by many of the conventional recipes. The result was something so heavy you could not throw it. Do not give up. Give my blog and recipes a chance. Especially in the page I wrote Getting Started.
I show a homemade sifter that takes more bran out, which can be sprinkled on top after the egg wash.This sifting  results in a lighter loaf.
Recently I posted a way to make dough in advance and freeze it. The loaf turns out even better. I will be adding pages as I go along.

Here are some interesting facts about Wheat
When you make the cereal it has the germ, oil and bran in it
Winter hard red Wheat
14.0  grams of protein
  2.2  grams of fat
69.1  grams of carbs.
  2.3 grams of fiber

36 Milligrams of calcium
383 Milligrams of Phorsphorus
3.1  Milligrams of Iron
370 Milligrams of Potassium

No comments:

Post a Comment